Not to preach... OK lets be honest... Practicing what we preach... We are founded on sustainability. We believe that all companies are made of people (shareholders, managers, customers, suppliers) and people can act sustainably and should. Simple.
Our record on sustainability is unmatched. We challenge all individuals, organizations and companies, large and small, global and local to meet and surpass our sustainability record. We think about sustainability in everything we do and every role we play and so should you. That's all it takes to make change happen. Go for it!
Our Sustainable Offerings
- We were the first company in Canada to offer certified Bird Friendly® coffee. Only Bird Friendly certified coffee is guaranteed to provide wintering habitat for our migratory songbirds and other wildlife. We challenge all roasters to offer certified Bird Friendly coffee, all food service contractors to require certified Bird Friendly coffee, and all consumers to demand Bird Friendly coffee. If we all did, the future of our songbirds would be secured.
- All of our Coffees are certified organic.
- Our Coffees are either certified fairly traded by Fair Trade USA or the Rainforest Alliance or are grown on inellagible family farms receiving fair trade prices or better.
- We use Organic Meadow organic milk in our cafe. While this is a huge cost, it is the right thing to do... and the milk is fantastic!
- We use certified organic Soy Milk for our no charge soy option.
- We use Rainforest Alliance certified, 100% shaved chocolate in our chocolate topping option.
- We use certified organic cinnamon in our cinnamon option.
- We use certified organic cage free eggs and are participants in the Chicken Out campaign.
- We use Hellman's mayonaisse made from cage free eggs.
- We use Wild Planet sustainably caught tuna... the only tuna in Canada to get a better than passing sustainability grade from Greenpeace.
- We use certified organic meat slices from Beretta Farms. That means the animals were naturally raised and are cruelty free.
- We use all natural soup provided by local, handcrafted Alba Lisa and Sopa Organica.
- We use many certified organic ingredients in our made from scratch baking.
- We use compostable cups and lids for hot and cold take out drinks.
- We compost our coffee grounds onsite in our backyard composter.
- We ensure no product sold contains Palm Oil.
- We do not sell any product in a plastic bottle.
Our Sustainable Community Initiatives
- We sponsor all of CCFEW's bird walks. Come out and see the real birds!
- We work closely with and sponsor Project CHIRP! an organization working to Create Habitat In Residential areas and Parkland for songbirds and other wildlife.
- We offer a space for local musicians to share music with their neighbours. Sharing music sustains our community.
- We show the work of local photographer Vincent Falardeau who has captured the images of migratory songbirds in our neighgbourhood! These are the birds we support by drinking certified Bird Friendly® coffee.
- We work with local suppliers like Sweet Olenka's, The Empanada Company and Chaser's Juice.
- We work to revitalize our community by supporting community events like the Annual Mimico Christmas Tree Lighting and the opening of the new Mimico Square.
- We are gold level sponsors of Lakeshorts Short Film Festival.
- We work to revitalize Mimico and the Lakeshore by serving on the Board of Directors of the Mimico-By-The-Lake-BIA (Business Improvement Area) and the Lakeshore Joint BIA.
Our Sustainable Background Initiatives
- Our roasting is bullfrogpowered™ with 100% green electricity and 100% green natural gas.
- We are founding sponsors of the Rainforest Alliance's Seal Your Cup education campaign intended to educate consumers about sustainable coffee growing methods.
- We package all of our coffee in compostable bags.
- We use compostable packaging peanuts in our shipping boxes. (If we receive conventional packing peanuts in a shipment we reuse them because we think they should be used at least twice in their 10,000 year product lifespan.)
- We separate the trash every day at the cafe (our favourite task!) into recycle, compostable and garbage and we compost our coffee grounds onsite!
- We repurposed church pews from a historical church and burned down for our seating. These pews were destined for use as scrap wood when we gave them a new life in their own neighbourhood with many of the same people sitting in them.
- We work with Gus Design, a local furniture manufacturer who repurpose our empty coffee sacks into an
Upcycle Ottoman and reuse our skids.
- We use energy efficient compact florescent floods in the cafe. They use less energy and produce less heat and so reduce cooling costs in the summer and we dispose of them safely.
- We use a programmable thermostat that does not call for heating or cooling when not required.
- We set our summer thermostat to 25C and our winter thermostat to 20C ... always comfortable for the seasonally dressed.
- We do deliveries and pickups in our hybrid vehicle.
- All of our appliances are energy star compliant.
- Our outdoor lights are on timers and motion sensors.
Seems like a lot, and it is. But please start somewhere, because however much we do it is only us doing it until you join in too. At the very least, buy your coffee from us and support what we do. Doesn't the phenomenon of migration deserve that much?